Please see below for information about Lab technology and space resources or take a moment to review the ESS Lab Manual. Please reach out to Ellen Eilers, ESS Lab Manager, at email@example.com with any questions. See the tabs to the left for other information-based resources.
KOTTMAN HALL ROOM 231
GUIDELINES FOR USE
The ESS lab offers physical space, computing resources, and other equipment. These resources are available to current ESS faculty, staff, graduate students, and approved undergraduate RAs.
It is each ESS lab member’s responsibility to familiarize themselves with and follow these guidelines, as well as to communicate them to team members who use lab resources. We may modify this approach as needed to ensure fair access to lab resources across ESS lab members.
INSTRUCTIONS TO USE LAB RESOURCES:
ESS Lab resources are available on a first-come, first-served basis. You may either access resources “on demand” without a reservation or make a reservation ahead of time to ensure access to what you need. Reservations are strongly recommended. If you make a reservation and then do not need it, please cancel your reservation as soon as possible so someone else may use the resource
PIs can make reservations on behalf of their RAs or give approval for their general access.
Reservations can be made through the ESS calendar on Outlook. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for access to the calendar.
The ESS Lab space can be accessed via the door code. It includes the following physical space resources:
- Main room with a high worktable for opening or assembling surveys, stuffing envelopes, etc.
- Lockable storage for in-progress surveys or other confidential materials, and customizable voicemail boxes under the lab phone number for a study point of contact
- Two small workrooms (231B and 231C) contain whiteboards and desktop computers with computer-based call and recording abilities (i.e webcams, speakers, and a microphone) perfect for conducting interviews, one-on-one research, or small meetings. Please be forewarned: cell coverage is limited in 231B, and phone numbers for either room should not be listed on study protocols and should only be shared externally on an as-needed basis.
COMPLETE LIST OF ESS LAB COMPUTING RESOURCES AND OTHER EQUIPMENT
1. The two small workrooms (231B & 231C) contain desktops with computer-based call and recording abilities (i.e webcams, speakers, and a microphone) perfect for conducting interviews, one-on-one research, or small meetings. Both PCs have basic software such as SPSS, R, Adobe, MAXQDA and Microsoft office. Calls can be made on the existing phone lines, or through web-based platforms (e.g. Zoom, Google hangouts, Skype). Please be forewarned: cell coverage is limited in 231B, and phone numbers for either room should not be listed on study protocols and should only be shared externally on an as-needed basis.
2. Two desktop computer workstations outfitted with powerful processors (10-core, 2.2Ghz CPUs; 64GBs RAM) and the latest analytic and modeling software. Both computers A and B are currently installed with SPSS / AMOS, SAS, R, STATA, MAXQDA, and MATLAB, as well as Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS, QGIS, the Microsoft Office suite, and printer hookups (print code needed). Additionally, computer A has MPlus, and computer B has IRTPro. Log in and save files using your OSU username. If existing software does not meet your needs, email email@example.com, and we will work with you to find an option that will work.
3. PC workstation in the 316 suite’s common area. Software: SPSS, R, MAXQDA, Office, and Adobe. Good for printing or more basic work and analysis. Login using your OSU ID.
4. 5 digital voice recorders
5. 1 portable projector
6. 1 transcription pedal
7. 8 clipboards
8. 50 "clickers" for audience response
9. 2 barcode scanners (used for surveys)
10. 3 mobile copies of MAXQDA
**Items 4-10 are available for check-out or in-lab use.
REMOTE ACCESS TO LAB COMPUTING RESOURCES:
You may request remote access to the following resources:
- Lab PCs via Guacamole, a browser-based program. Please contact the lab manager to determine which computer will best fit your needs and coordinate access with IT. 4
- Atlas.ti, qualitative analysis software, is also available remotely via a single use license. Logging in may need to be coordinated with others using the license, ask the lab manager for details/access.