Please see below for information about Lab technology and space resources, or the tabs to the left for other information-based resources.
ESS Shared Facilities and Equipment:
Lab Space in Room 231 Kottman Hall
The ESS Lab space has the following resources available for current ESS Faculty, staff, Graduate students, and approved RAs:
1) Two computer workstations outfitted with powerful processors (10-core, 2.2Ghz CPUs; 64GBs RAM) and the latest analytic and modeling software. Both computers A and B are currently installed with SPSS / AMOS, SAS, R, STATA, Sawtooth, and MATLAB, as well as Adobe Creative Suite, ArcGIS, QGIS, the Microsoft office suite, and printer hookups (print code needed). Additionally, computer A has MPlus, and computer B has IRTPro. Both also have access to MaxQDA via a mobile, shared license (out of 2 in total). Login and save files using your OSU username. If existing software do not meet your needs, email email@example.com, and we will work with you to find an option that will work.
2) Two small workrooms (231B and 231C) contain whiteboards and computers with computer-based call and recording abilities (i.e webcams, speakers, and a microphone) perfect for conducting interviews, one-on-one research, or small meetings. Both PCs have basic software such as SPSS, R, Adobe, and Microsoft office, as well as access to MaxQDA via a mobile, shared license (out of 2 copies). Calls can be made on the existing phone lines, or through web-based platforms (e.g. Zoom, Google hangouts, Skype). Please be forewarned: cell coverage is limited in 231B, and phone numbers for either room should not be listed on study protocols, and should only be shared externally on an as-needed basis.
3) Lockable storage for in-progress surveys or other confidential materials, and customizable voicemail boxes under the lab phone number for a study point of contact
4) A high work table for opening or assembling surveys, stuffing envelopes, etc.
5) Plus a PC workstation in the room 316 common area, good for printing or more basic work and analysis. Login using your OSU ID. Software: SPSS, R, Office, and Adobe.
Lab Equipment Available for Research-Related Loans
The ESS Lab also maintains 4 digital voice recorders, a portable projector, a transcription pedal, 8 clipboards, 50 "clickers" for audience response, tablets (with the option of modible data; for example administering surveys in the field), and 2 barcode scanners (used for surveys) available for check-out or in-lab use.
Instructions to reserve:
Complete this form or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request equipment or reserve a small room or computer. (senr.osu.edu/ess_equipment_request). Usage rules will be first-come first-served unless there is a reservation. PIs can also make reservations on behalf of their RAs or give approval for their general access. The room will be generally open 8-5, M-F (please contact the lab manager for after-hours access options).
View when computers and rooms are available here (but you must email the lab manager to make a reservation):
Analytic computer A: Calendar
Analytic computer B: Calendar
231 Small room B: Calendar
231 Small room C: Calendar
Room 316 common area PC: Calendar